O’Neill’s Continental Youth Championships
HOST COMMITTEE MANUAL
We are pleased that your city will be hosting the upcoming Continental Youth Championship. There are many requirements associated with hosting an event of this size and magnitude. The CYC Steering Committee is available to assist with any questions or suggestions you may have in running this event.
This manual will serve as a guide for your committee in reaching your goals and meeting the requirements to run this tournament.
- Host Committee should consists of Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Hotel Coordinator, Bus Coordinator and PRO. The Host Committee may contain other members but must have these main positions.
- Host Committee will submit to the Steering Committee Secretary a list of names and emails of each of their committee members. These members will be listed on the CYC website.
- Host Committee will communicate directly with CYC Steering Committee on all aspects of the tournament through their respective secretary.
- Host Committee Chair will be invited on Steering Committee conference calls for the first part of the call to give an overview of progress.
Host committee secretary need to send e-mails prior to tournament with the following info:
- Registration Information where & when
- Playing Fields – list any restriction/ rules
- U6 games time & place
- Where can coaches pick up water
- Map of fields
- Is there seating, can they bring in chairs
- Can teams bring in their own tents?
- Can families bring in coolers?
- Menu with prices, tickets, or cash info,
- Where can coaches pick up O’Neill’s kids shirts, balls, coaches shirts
- Is there a parking fee?
●Either to be held the last weekend in July or first weekend of August with the approval of the Steering Committee
LOCATION FOR TOURNAMENT:
●Location of tournament should be held in a major city with accessible airports for all traveling cities.
●Each city is required to be incorporated, etc
PROOF OF INSURANCE:
●Must provide a 1M general liability insurance certificate to Steering Committee
●Host committee is required to submit a budget to the Steering Committee secretary 60-90 days prior to tournament.
●The Steering Committee will provide a set amount of funds to the Host Committee to help with the running of the tournament
●There is no guarantee of a minimum or maximum amount that will be provided to any Host Committee
●The amount will be determine by a date set by the steering committee and then reported to the Host Committee
●The amount will be divided up into payments during the year the tournament is held
●$10,000 will be held until the Host Committee Final Report is sent into the Steering Committee
- Host committee is responsible to submit a final report including financials 30 day after tournament.
●The Host Committee is responsible for the promotion of the tournament on Social Media such as Facebook , Twitter and instagram. All materials posted on the CYC accounts must be within the Best Practice Guidelines for Coaches and Parents working with Youth Players.
- Must be update regularly with all pertinent info on tournament.
- Name & e-mail of person update website web site must be submitted to CYC secretary.
HOST COMMITTEE TIMELINE:
●Meet with your volunteer organizing committee; continue meeting throughout tournament planning.
●Confirm date and location for the tournament. Obtain a certificate of liability insurance for your tournament .
●Confirm layout of fields with Steering Committee
●Secure hotel rooms based on past year’s hotel requirements
●Design city logo and submit to Steering Committee secretary so it can uploaded to CYC website
●Begin soliciting sponsorships, prizes and additional donations; continue throughout tournament planning.
●Define volunteer roles for the day of the tournament; recruit volunteers to assist you.
●Request proposals for bus transportation
●Finalize promotional materials to support your outreach and communications (e.g., flyers, posters).
●Request proposals for tents, port-a-potties, golf carts, walkie talkies, etc.
●Secure location for Host Committee Banquet. Send estimate of costs to Steering Committee
●Secure food vendors
●Recruit referees for the tournament with local adult board clubs
●Coordinate Field Marshals with local adult board clubs
●Create signs for field set-up (Field A, Field B, Restrooms, parking, etc)
●Coordinate bus schedule and game schedule with Steering Committee
●Submit vendor pricing for website
●Prepare welcome packet for visiting clubs and dignitaries. Send to Steering Committee for approval prior to sending out to traveling cities
●Provide a list of names and contact of referees information to Steering Committee
●Set-up fields, tents, signage, etc
●Welcome Packet is sent to all visiting clubs
FIELD & GOALPOST REQUIREMENTS:
- U8 Fields - 4 recommended , minimum 3
50 meters in length by 35 meters wide
Goalposts 10 feet long x 6 feet high
- U10 Fields - 4 recommended, minimum 3
90 meters in length by 45 metres wide (soccer fields)
Goalposts 15 feet long x 7 feet high
- U12 / U14 Fields - 4 recommended, minimum 3
110 meters long by 55/60 meters wide (Full size soccer fields)
Goalposts 15 feet long x 7 feet high
- U16/U18 Fields - 2 minimum
130-140 meters long by 60-65 meters wide (full size GAA field or slightly smaller)
Goalposts - Full Size GAA Goalposts 21 feet long by 8 feet high
●At distances of 13m, 20m, 45m (football) and 65m (hurling), lines are marked parallel to the end lines. The intersection of these lines and the end lines with the sidelines are marked with flags.
●The midline of the field is marked parallel to the end lines and has a maximum length of 10m (Note: the dimensions may be reduced by local bye-laws for U15 or younger grades).
FLAGS FOR FIELDS
●1 green & 1 white flags should be at every goal post
●2 white flags are needed for each of the sidelines.
BENCHES (RECOMMENDATION NOT A REQUIREMENT)
●2 Benches for each team for players on fields
●All Fields must be clearly marked with signage (Field A, Field B, etc.)
●Water stations to be provided by Host Committee for each side of the field. Host Committee to purchase water bottles for coaches - ½ dozen for each team to be distributed with coaches card at registration.
●Must provide a detailed map with fields labeled, tents clearly named, etc.
- Main tent: 40 X 40 tent for registration, referees and scoring.
- Enclosed 20 X 20 tent next to main tent for referees to change and complete reports.
- 2 - 20 X20 changing tents for each field for players
- 1 - 20 X20 enclosed tent for O’Neill’s apparel
- 1 - 20X20 Medical Tent with cots, tables and chairs
- 1 - 20X20 Information/Lost & Found Tent
- 1 - 20X20 Tent for CYC O’Neill’s T-Shirts & bag giveaway
- 1 - 20X20 T Shirt Vendor tent
- Shade Tents
- Signage for tents. All tents must be clearly marked.
MAIN TENT SUPPLIES: Host Committee provides supplies and Steering Committee will reimburse committee with proper receipts with a few exceptions.
- 10 to 15 - 8 ft tables & chairs for at least 12 people or more(HC expense)
- Electricity and at least 6 power strips (HC expense)
- PA System for Main Tent (HC expense)2 - Printers/Copiers
- Ink & Paper for printer
- CD to install printer to laptop & usb cables
- Plywood for floor of Main Tent
- 10 pairs of scissors
- Staplers & staples
- Paper clips
- Rubber bands
- White out
- Permanent markers
- Thumb tacks
- Tea/Coffee, drinks, breakfast & lunch for main tent, O’Neill’s tent, & referees each day, assigned member of host committee to be responsible for needs of those tents.
REFEREE SUPPLIES: Host Committee provides supplies and Steering Committee will reimburse committee with proper receipts.
- Host committee need to make copies of team sheets (in triplicate), and referee reports (single), for tournament # to be determined closer to tournament.
- Whistles for referees
- Stop watches for referees
- Golf pencils
- Referee shirts. Host Committee will assist in ordering shirts locally with approval from Steering Committee
- Minimum of 6 designated for Steering Committee for the entire weekend
- Host Committee will need to determine how many they will require for the weekend
- One for each Steering Committee member (12)
- One for each Field Marshall (12)
- One for Medical Tent (1)
- Host committee & other volunteers as needed. Please ensure you have ample walkies talkies for all members
- Must have wireless internet access at the main CYC tent.
- Buses should be available from hotels to fields starting at 6:30 am to 7:00 pm each day of the event with an emphasis on the early morning and late day departures.
- Reliability is essential when considering a bus company
- Must be organized for the entire weekend from hotels to fields
- Must have bus coordinator at each hotel every morning for the entire weekend
- Schedule for buses must supplied to Steering Committee one week before event and posted at every hotel & at the fields
- If fields are spread out and the distance is longer than ½ mile, a shuttle will need to be provided for attendees at tournament.
- Prior to signing a contract with Bus Company the contract must be reviewed and approved by CYC Steering Committee.
- Must have adequate number of parking spots available for teams. In addition if lot is away from fields a shuttle should be provided to the fields
- Must provide adequate amount of toilets
- Host Committee must consult with Steering Committee before any press, media, photographer or videographer is to attend event.
O’NEILL’S T-SHIRT GIVEAWAY:
- Host committee needs to assign a member of their committee to be responsible for organizing
- Host committee picks their own color for shirts but needs to submit color to Steering Committee for approval
- Host Committee will have t-shirts printed by separate t-shirt vendor of their choosing.
- Host Committee needs to submit at least 2 quotes for shirts and submit quotes to Steering Committee for pre-approval.
- Steering Committee will send quotes to O’Neill’s for approval
- Final vendor selection will be made by O’Neill’s. Steering Committee will notify Host Committee of vendor selection
- O’Neill’s will forward logo for front & back with their specification to Steering Committee to be sent to screen printer
- Distribution of shirts to be determined by Steering Committee with Host Committee input
- Payment of shirts will be made by O’Neill’s. Host Committee must submit invoice to Steering Committee 3 weeks prior to CYC . O’Neill’s will bring a check from Ireland and make payment at the CYC tournament.
- T-shirts sizes to be determined by Steering Committee and will be based on registration numbers.
O’NEILL’S MENTOR POLOS, BALLS & BAGS:
- There should be someone from the Host Committee assigned to the project
- Steering Committee will give a final list to Host Committee of teams participating, with coach’s name with the amounts of shirts and balls to be placed in bags
- Bags need to be clearly marked with the Name of the Club, City and age group of teamex. Shannon Gaels, NY, 12A Football
- Host Committee will bag shirts, bags and football prior to the start of the tournament
- Bags need to be ready to be distributed on the first day of the tournament
- A separate tent will need to be set up to store these items
- Coaches will be required to sign that they picked up their equipment & shirts.
- O’Neill’s bags will be given out with the players t-shirts, one shirt & one bag per player.
- Rooms need to be reserved in the Main Hotel for dignitaries from Ireland please consult with Steering Committee Hotel Representative for number of rooms
- Hotel coordinator must communicate with all club secretaries regarding rooms.
- Host committee should negotiate tournament rate for 2 days prior & 2 day after.
- Minimum 25 comp rooms for dignitaries & referees (room & tax only)
- Hotel coordinator will work with Steering Committee Hotel Coordinator to organize dignitary rooms.
- Secure meeting space at host hotel and/or access to business center at host hotel entire weekend for Host Committee and Dignitaries.
- Secure meeting room Monday morning after CYC for Steering Committee meeting with Croke Park and Host Committee
- Organize room at main hotel for registration & all necessary items
- Room for registration must have internet access
- Must be big enough to accommodate large crowds
- Registration room needs at least 3- 8 ft tables & chairs
- If in a separate room in the hotel signage needs to be set up in lobby with location of registration
- All CYC hotels need to have welcome signs and all relevant & updated CYC information.
- Host committee must provide minimum of 40 referees on each day and present at all times. Diversification in all 4 codes football, hurling, camogie and ladies codes
- Host committee run a referee clinic and go through rules and how to complete a referee reports. This is for local referees only.
- Names, cell phone numbers, days available and qualifications must be submitted to Steering Committee 3 weeks prior to tournament.
- J1 -payment to referees is the responsibility of the Host Committee to decide rate. Steering Committee does not issue payment to referees.
LINESMEN & UMPIRES:
- Host committee must provide and umpires and linesmen for first games on each field each day.
- Need to wear a vest to distinguish, host committee need to have vests at every field for linesmen & umpires, field marshal will ensure they are worn.
●This is a very important role in the tournament, they are essential in ensuring schedule is adhered to, select responsible individuals
●Host Committee is required to designate field marshals for each field for the entire weekend.
●There will be a tent, table & chair at each field for the field marshal
●Host Committee will assign one person who is in charge of field marshals, duties of the field marshals will be sent to this person.
●Field Marshall should have separate color shirt/vest to distinguish.
●Host Committee is responsible to supply enough volunteers to support the tournment over the four days.
●If Host Committee supplies their volunteers with tshirts the color of the shirt needs to be approved by the Steering Committee. It cannot clash with other shirts already being provided for over the weekend.
- Steering Committee Secretary coordinate with Croke Park dignitary travel itineraries, & all other dignitary itineraries and submits to Host Committee secretary to organize arrival & departure from airports and hotel rooms.
- Host committee will host CYC dinner for dignitaries. A list of names will be provided to host committee secretary. Host Committee will send out invitations by e-mail to all attendees. Night of dinner to be determined by Steering Committee & Host Committee.
- Budget to be approved by Steering Committee. The cost will be split with Steering Committee and Host Committee
- Host Committee is to provide transportation to and from functions for dignitaries
- All functions organized for CYC must be pre-approved by Steering Committee and submitted to Steering Committee Secretary with place, time & dress code. Steering Committee secretary will send information to dignitaries.
- Host committee to provide gift bags for dignitaries. Bags should be delivered to hotel rooms prior to dignitaries arrival. List provided by Steering Committee secretary
- Prepare Welcome packet and itinerary of weekend events for dignitaries. Send to Steering Committee secretary for approval prior to sending out.
- Breakfast & Lunch with healthy options & snacks
- Reasonably priced for families who will be there all day & all weekend
- Tickets or cash, if tickets they must be able to use entire weekend
- An opening ceremony to be organized by Host Committee at fields.
- Details of ceremony needs to be submitted to Steering Committee with date, time and details of such event.
- A parade is not a required
- Host committee will provide Lanyards with laminated rules, wrist band color guide, host & steering committee list of names & cell numbers, for field marshals & host committee & volunteers.
- Steering committee will be responsible for lanyards for VIP’s, referees, & coaches.
- A $10.00 admission fee will be allowed for two days of the tournament only, Friday and Saturday
- Only adults will be charges
- Players, children and VIP, will not be charged
- Fully and stocked and staffed medical tent for the entire weekend
- Paperwork must be completed for each incident & signed by parent or guardian
- List of area hospitals/emergency room names and directions
- Needs to have a designated golf cart for medical tent only
●Prepare Welcome Packet to be distributed to all visiting clubs
●Packet should include the following:
■Directions to fields
■Concessions with prices
■Map of field
- O’Neill’s is the official sponsor of the CYC Tournament
- Any additional vendors need to be approved by Steering Committee prior to any contracts or agreements made with vendor
- Northwest Design has been the T-Shirt vendor for the CYC since 2007. It at the discretion of the Host Committee if they wish to enter into a contract with this vendor
- Host Committee can bring in their own t shirt vendor if they decide but needs to be approved
STEERING COMMITTEE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Overseeing the organization of the CYC Tournament
- Scheduling of games
- Ordering of medals
- Scheduling referees
- All completed referee reports
- Updating online score board at tournament
- Steering Committee members designated to oversee fields organization
- Entire online registration
- Official club registration sheets
- Trophy presentations
- Email to clubs to return prior years trophies & shields, CYC Host Committee need to designate person to be responsible for receiving trophies and getting them to tournament on the first day of tournament
- All disciplinary matters during the tournament
- Coaches cards
- Submitting Club contacts to Host Committee Secretary
- Coordinating with hotel coordinator regarding teams traveling
- Invitations to CYC tournament to all dignitaries
- Feedback from clubs after the tournament